Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Taste of Foster Care

I got the honor and privilege of keeping 2 sweet boys on Thursday and Friday. These boys are in the foster care system. They already have a foster family, but the family had lost a family member and needed to leave town, so they needed help with the children. We are going through Children's Home of Lubbock, and they called me and asked if I could help and jumped to the opportunity! They had found placement for the other children, but needed somebody to take the 2 younger boys. They were 3 and 4 years old. (I don't believe I am able to put their names or pictures on here, sorry!)
I picked them up on Thursday at day care and they came running to me like they knew me, and was so excited! That was nice, because it did make the transition really easy. But that also caught me off guard. I didn't know if that was just their personality or was it that they had been passed around so much from family to family. I have no idea. I know nothing about their past or why they are in foster care. So we got in the car and came home and they went directly to the kitchen table, they were hungry! So we got a snack and they wanted more and more. I finally had to stop giving them food! Thought maybe they ate so fast that they thought they were still hungry. So I made them wait. It wasn't 15 minutes and they were already asking for more food. It was like this ALL weekend. We could eat a meal and their little bellies would be so full and they would want to eat again. Like I said I don't know there past, but it just seemed to me they were trying to eat all they could because they didn't know when there next meal would be. It just broke my heart! We went to go see Holly and Cash and let the boys play, and they had so much fun! We took them to the park and they loved it! The next day I took them to the store to pick out some toys. They did pick out there toy but they were more interested in getting food than the toys! It was all I could do not to cry in the store! It was just so sad! I know I was just keeping them for a few days, but I want them to feel loved and safe, and know that they will be provided for. I just want them to be little boys.
We had a good 2 days. It was hard to see them go. The oldest little boy cried when I told him he was going back. He was crying and told me he wanted to stay with me, then I started crying! So we gathered all of our stuff up and I took them back. And when he got there he was fine, and started playing. All in all it was a good 2 days, and an experience I will NEVER forget!

1 comment:

  1. What a great opportunity.. I'm excited to see who He places in your lives. What a journey!

    ReplyDelete